Self-discipline is the ability to control one’s impulses, emotions, and actions in order to achieve a desired goal. It is often considered as one of the key factors for success in any field of endeavor. However, not everyone has the same level of self-discipline, and some people seem to have more of it than others. What are the secrets of these successful people who have mastered the art of self-discipline? Here are 10 rules of self-discipline that only successful people know:
- They don’t joke with time. Successful people value their time as their most precious resource, and they use it wisely and efficiently. They don’t waste time on trivial matters, distractions, or procrastination. They set realistic and specific goals, and they plan their actions accordingly. They also respect other people’s time, and they don’t make them wait or delay their commitments.
- They prioritise things according to their values. Successful people know what is important to them, and they align their actions with their values. They don’t let external factors or opinions sway them from their vision. They focus on the things that matter most to them, and they eliminate or delegate the things that don’t. They also balance their priorities between short-term and long-term goals, and they don’t sacrifice one for the other.
- They know when to say no. Successful people have the courage and the clarity to say no to the things that are not aligned with their values, goals, or interests. They don’t let peer pressure, social norms, or fear of rejection stop them from doing what is right for them. They also know how to say no to themselves, and they don’t indulge in temptations or habits that can harm their health, productivity, or happiness.
- They track their growth. Successful people measure their progress and evaluate their performance regularly. They don’t rely on subjective feelings or vague impressions to judge their results. They use objective data and feedback to assess their strengths and weaknesses, and they identify areas for improvement. They also celebrate their achievements and reward themselves for their efforts.
- They are not comfortable in their comfort zone. Successful people challenge themselves and push themselves beyond their limits. They don’t settle for mediocrity or complacency. They seek new opportunities and experiences that can help them grow and learn. They also embrace failure and mistakes as part of the learning process, and they don’t let them discourage them from trying again.
- They constantly strive to improve and achieve more. Successful people have a growth mindset and a positive attitude towards life. They don’t rest on their laurels or become satisfied with their current state. They always look for ways to enhance their skills, knowledge, and abilities. They also set higher standards and expectations for themselves, and they work hard to meet them.
- They are hungry for knowledge. Successful people are curious and eager to learn new things. They don’t limit themselves to one field or domain of expertise. They explore different topics and perspectives that can broaden their horizons and enrich their minds. They also seek advice and guidance from mentors, experts, or peers who can help them improve.
- They are consistent in their dealings. Successful people are reliable and trustworthy in their words and actions. They don’t change their mind or break their promises without a valid reason. They follow through with their plans and commitments, and they deliver what they say they will do. They also treat others with respect and honesty, and they expect the same from them.
- They know how to maintain life and work balance. Successful people understand that success is not only about work or money, but also about happiness and well-being. They don’t neglect their personal life or relationships for the sake of their career or business. They make time for themselves and their loved ones, and they enjoy the fruits of their labor. They also take care of their physical, mental, and emotional health, and they manage their stress levels effectively.
- They can control their cravings and urges. Successful people have the willpower and the self-control to resist impulses that can interfere with their goals or values. They don’t let emotions or moods dictate their behavior or decisions. They also moderate their consumption of food, alcohol, drugs, or other substances that can affect their health or performance negatively.
These are some of the rules of self-discipline that only successful people know and follow consistently. By applying these rules in your own life, you can also develop your self-discipline muscle and achieve your desired outcomes.